Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas time is supposed to be for happy times

It seems that on the years that I have very little Christmas spirit, the Fates see fit to suck away what's left. At about 7 o'clock this evening, I got a call from my Auntie E, and it was not a call just to say hi. It was a call bearing bad news. She told me that my last living great grand parent, my g-grandma Peachie past away at about 2:30 am. All I could do was cry and listen to her as she gave the the details for the funeral arrangements. Now, I do realize that I am lucky to have had a great grandparent last well into my adult life, but it still hurts, because I loved her dearly. And I do realize that she is in a better place now, as her condition was getting worse as time wore on. Also, she had a good, long life. She had 13 children, and out lived her husband by just over 32 years, Grandpa Hayden died when I was 4 months old.

But this isn't the first time I have lost a grandparent at Christmas. In 1997, my grandpa Earl finally succumbed to his Lukemia, and passed about a week before Christmas. Katie was just about 2.

Then in 2000, when I was 9 months pregnant with Annie, and very ill from deep fried turkey, my mom called me on Christmas Eve morning to let me know that my great grandmother Erna, who immigrated from Germany in the 50's to marry my great grandfather, had passed at 2:30 am, from a massive heart attack. All I can remember doing was telling her no, that grandma didn't die. My great grandfather was the one who found her, and after that, he gave up on life. The love of his life died, so he figured it was time to go as well. I remember him saying a few years before that he would rather die first, knowing she could handle the pain of loosing him better that he could handle the pain of loosing her. One month later, we had to attend his funeral. He literally layed down to die. It was a little bitter sweet, that in between, Annie was born. She was the reminder we needed that life does go on and needs to be enjoyed.

So, this evening I rifled through the closet to see what I have to wear that will fit me, as most of my clothes are my skinny clothes. I found my dark brown slacks, but nothing to go with them. So, off to the store I went with Miss Amy. And I embarassed to admit it, but I bought a sweater. But like Amy said, it's not as if I could have made it myself by Saturday morning on such short notice. I found a nice, long, cabled sweater with a hood in a heathered brown, and a tan tank top made of bamboo. I hope it's appropriate.

You know, having gotten that all out, I feel a little better.

In memory of Grandma Peachie 1913-2006

2 comments:

lexa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. My great grandmother died on Christmas Eve when I was three. I can see it to this day just like it was in front of me right now. It was in the house that my parent's live in now. We were bringing them their gifts. I remember Nanny was laying on the bathroom floor and Grampy on his knees beside her. She had a cut on her eye where she hit her head when she fell. She had a heart attck that killed her instantly. I don't remember much after that except sitting on the sofa with my mother, asking what was wrong with Nanny. I don't remember the ambulance coming or anything after that. Grampy died eight months later of a heart attack in the local barber shop. He went way down hill after she died. They were my dad's grandparents, but they raised him and were "Mom and Dad" to him.

My husband lost his first grandparent almost six years ago. He's even still got a great grandmother who is into her 90s and still lives in her own house! When hubby's grandfather died that was the first close relative he ever lost, and he was almost 28 at the time. Since then his father died unexpectedly, too, at only 52.

knittinmom said...

I am so sorry to hear about your great-grandmother. My dear grandmother passed away in December seven years ago, and I still miss her like crazy. Even when it's their time to go, it still hurts like the dickens. Sounds like you are coping well - hang in there!