Monday, February 19, 2007

Saturday shopping fun

Saturday, we got up bright and early and headed off to Dayton. It took us about an hour and twenty minutes to get there in the bad weather. And about an half an hour after getting there, we headed off to Fiberworks to pick up my wheel. We spent an hour and a half there! Wow! We had such a great time, we didn't realize how much time we spent there. There was so much to look at. All the different types and colors of roving. I was in heaven. My SIL went with me, along with Annie and my niece F. All the older girls stayed at the house. I'll show you below in pics all the neat stuff that I got. And let me say, I did set a budget for myself and I stayed under it by $10 and some change.

When we got back, I started lunch, cheesy potato soup. And Angie (my SIL) made Italian grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum! And while we cooked, we whipped up a few cocktails, pineapple rum with orange-pineapple-strawberry juice. Again, Yum! Then, we let the kids go play in the snow. Don't worry, they had on multiple layers. And when they came in, we put them in jammies, and tossed all the wet stuff in the dryer. Here's a few pics:


Here's Katie and niece S trying to go down the hill in a box.

Here's Annie, after she hit the bottom of the hill.

But, on to the goodies.

Here's my wheel, still in the box.

Here is what it looked like when I opened the box. Inside of that folder is the assembly instructions, sand paper, a catalog of their other products and a little slip of paper that tells you who packed the box, with their picture on it.

Here is half of the parts, laid out on my bedroom floor.

Here is the other half of the parts.

And here it is, a couple of hours later, all put together. I am so proud of myself. Now for all the goodies that I got.

Arlene (the shop owner) gave me the white roving as a gift to practice on. The lovely dark mauve and rose roving I bought. I'm not touching those beauties until I get the hang of it.

I picked up the Handspinner's Handbook and WPI tool.

Here is some beautiful lace yarn that I fell in love with. It's Jojoland Harmony, colorway C05. And under it is a pattern for a Lace Flower shawl.

Here is some Jojoland Melody, fingering weight, in colorway Y45. These will become a lovely pair of socks.

Here is a lovely Lendrum Maple Niddy Noddy, that's adjustable to 1 or 2 yds. Now, I just need a Nostepinne. I have tried to use my wheel. I understand the basics, I just need to get the hang of it. I can get started, but it gets too twisty on my, really quick. But I am determined. I will learn to spin. And, finally I leave you with a pic of Mr. Vinny, sniffing my roving, which I have tied closed in a bag. Granted, he has great taste, but he would rather roll in it and make a mess.

3 comments:

lexa said...

Some assembly required, huh? LOL!

I love the lace yarn you bought, what a gorgeous color! I like the sock yarn, too. Those are really pretty rovings as well. Oh, you are going to have such nice yarn once you get the hang of it! I'd never be able to get a wheel til my boys are older. As rough and careless as what they are they'd have it broken.

I'd have to lock roving up around my cats. They're not too bad with my yarn unless it's got a high wool content. They won't leave real wool alone at all.

Anonymous said...

That roving is absolutely STUNNING. I can't blame you for practicing on the white first! (And I am so proud of you for getting that wheel together all by yourself. Aren't you?) have fun, have fun, have fun.

Verona said...

I envy you! I love the spinning wheel and am eying to buy one myself. I have the books how to learn spinning and a group close by who invited me to come and watch them and learn how to spin. Where did you get it??

Just lovely and all this yarn!

Veronika