Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006: In Review

Yesterday, I sat here, at my desk at work, and took a stroll through my archieves for '06. And this is what I found:

In the FO in '06 catagory, we have:
  • 1 poncho
  • 2 scarves
  • 3 purses
  • 5 hats
  • 7 pairs of fingerless gloves
  • 20 pairs of socks

In the UFO catagory, we have:

  • Rogue
  • Central Park Hoodie
  • Highland Heather Pullover
  • Bell Sleeve Shrug
  • Fisherman's Shrug
  • Candle Flame Shawl
  • My own cabled sock pattern
  • Lapgan in Plymouth Encore

I think I see a trend in there, somewhere.

In '06 I moved for the first time in 8 years. My cat told me "no" when I asked if she wanted to come upstairs. I joined my first KAL (the SAM KAL, and I haven't stopped since). I started 2 sock swaps. My youngest killed Pooh, with a light bulb of all things. I finally got a working fireplace. I laughed myself silly over square watermelons and constuctions signs that post the speed limit as 8 1/2 mph. I found that rage control issuses and scissors do not bode well for my hair (I cut off about 6 inches about a month ago). I pulled out my back, pulling out shrubs. I got to hang Christmas lights on the outside of my house for the first time, ever. I was in my first car accident, and it wasn't my fault. I attended a rock concert with 4 teenagers, but the 2 beers I got to consume made up for it. And I gained 20 pounds, on top of the 35 I gained last winter.

In '07 I plan to:

  • Finish my UFO pile.
  • Top the number of socks knitted in '06.
  • Lose the 55 lbs. so that '06 was my fat year and '07 is my get skinny, again, year.
  • Get a spinning wheel and learn to use it.
  • Go back to attending the Renn Fairs and other things I love to do with my girls.
  • Make atleast 3 of the bed dolls for the Society I just joined, about an hour ago.
  • After getting thin(ner), find someone to have a lasting relationship with, 'cause let's face it, as of Christmas, it's been 2 years.
  • And, finally, try to make sure I'm in a good position to get my own place again in '08, 'cause I really miss my solitude.

Ok, so to elaborate on the the bed doll society that I joined. When I was in high school, I'd go over to my friend, Miss Angi's house, and her mom had these things sitting all over the house in cases. I was fascinated by them. And then when Katie was about 2, I borrowed a few of the patterns and attempted to make a couple. For one of them, I used a baby sport weight in mint green, instead of the crochet cotton recommended. It didn't turn out too bad, but not too great either. I can't remember if I tossed it during the move or not. And I still have the remnants of the second one. On that one, I did use the crochet cotton, got the hoop skirt done (which is a pillow form that you make) and stopped. Now that I have the confidence to complete one, I joined Annie's Attic Bed Doll Society. The first collection that I'll get will be the Antebellum collection. The girls' have already picked out the one they want me to make. Here is what Katie picked:


This is Miss October, and I can't remember which site I borrowed this pic from (don't worry, I'm not a bandwidth theif, I saved it to my hard drive). However, Katie wants it in true October style. She wants the colors to be black, orange and purple. I'm thinking the dress in orange, trimmed in black and purple lace. Annie wants Miss June, but I have apparently reached my pic limit? WTF? But, I will get 2 patterns a month until I have all the patterns, or I opt out. And it's only about $15 a month. The first set I'll get is Miss October and Miss March, and as a free gift, I'll get the Antebellum Bride pattern. I see atleast 2 family members getting one for Christmas next year, providing I work on them all year long.

Ok, enough rambling for today! Happy Knitting!

1 comment:

lexa said...

I'm all for the weight loss, too! I have to do 2 miles on the old treadmill tonight. I missed yesterday because of my knee, but I've been taking indomethacin, so now it's almost all gone.

I think this year I'll try to keep track of all FOs on my blog, something like Aija does on Sock Pr0n, on the sidebar or something. That way I'll have quick reference. I, too, want to make more socks (not sure how many I did last year off hand) and finish some of the UFOs around here. I have a tendency, too, to not finish big things!

Must go hit some of that knitting! I have a scarf to knit for the Red Scarf Project. I guess I should start with that since it needs to be mailed this month. Also the kid needs a hat and mittens set by the middle of the month for the school raffle draw, and I need a bag for my Knit Mitt Kit Pal by the 16th.... So much knitting, so little time!